Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I am the Thinker

Right after school, we booked it to meet up with our group at the Musee Rodin, the former home of the sculptor who created the Gates of Hell and the Thinker. Many of the pieces, particularly the ones displayed in the garden, were reproductions, but were made from the original mold (which makes them somewhat original?). The way it was explained to me, a sculpture is made with the intent of a mold being made and several copies of it being produced, all of which are considered "originals" but only one of which was actually the handcrafted sculpture.

Regardless, it was cool. I got more excited about some of the pieces at this museum that I had never heard of than I did about some of the well-known art at the Louvre and d'Orsay.

As I had predicted on the metro on the way there, the Thinker was crowded by (American) tourists next to the statue reproducing the position and taking pictures and thinking they were really clever. Original.

No comments: